February 01, 2008

Young Whale



When I got close to the beach on the way to Crescent City this morning, I noticed a large gathering of folks. My first thought was that they must be holding some kind of surfing or kayaking class. But as I got along side the group, I could see that they were all gathered around something very large. Being of a naturally curious nature, I pulled over and could see what I thought was a whale. I got out of the car and walked down to get a closer look, snapped a few pictures so I could get his body angle right and left. The lab folks were already on the scene working on the far side of him with the intent of figuring out how he died since he/she was a fairly young sperm whale (this I was told by one of the audience). The whale was approximately 15' long, I probably should have included the crowd of folks standing on the other side of it, as it would give a sense of scale. I appreciated who ever placed the flowers at his tail, it kind of reflected how I felt. One can't help but be awed by an animal so large and intelligent. May he be breaching happily in whaley heaven even as I'm typing this.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lin said...

Tami -- what a site to come upon! I love how you included the flowers in your sketch of the event ... a touch, kind detail for sure!

3:41 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

What a sad happening butat least you were there to document it. Love those little thoughtful flowers.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

Wow. Sad, but cool for your to see him up close, wasn't. This is when being a sketchbook artist really counts. It's a nice drawing, Tami.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

It was sad. Thank you Lin, Teri and Karen. So how drawing it is a nice way to share it and it make the whole experience more personal.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Judybec said...

Oh my. What an amazing scene... and what beautiful animals they must be. You did a very handsome sketch.

7:03 PM  
Blogger caseytoussaint said...

Oh, this makes me sad too! Thank you for recording it - the flowers are a great touch.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Laura Frankstone said...

So sad, Tami. Somehow, in the curve of the whale's body, you communicated that so well.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

That's such a sad scene, and you conveyed it very well in your sketch.

You can always do another with the people in the scene if you want to.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

A sperm whale? Sad when a whale is beached and dies.
Lucky there were no Fijians about to steal all of his or her teeth! The tabua (whale's teet) are worth about $300 each and recently when a large dead whale washed up on Mali Island, the guys quickly took out the teeth and made thousands of dollars!
w.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home