January 21, 2008

Wave Work



I went to the beach yesterday thinking I would just practice painting a couple of waves at different points of breaking. I had my watercolor block with me and decided that I'd try that instead of my usual sketchbook. I can't believe the difference the paper makes! So if I am growling about a picture, feel free to ask me what paper I'm using; in the meantime, I'm going to try to be more consistent with using the right paper for the right work. The sketchbook works great with my pen and inks with simple washes like my "IF" post from the other day.


Now, let me go see what I can find to paint today....Still could use more practice on those waves.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lin said...

GOOD WORK, Tami! Oh yeah, there are some papers I use that I can kick myself all night about ... but this is still a lovely piece!!!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Seems we all learn that paper lesson the hard way. And then learn it again and again.

This is a lovely and intersting painting. I like the placement of the rocks. Looks like a wonderful place to sit and paint.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Judybec said...

I feel like I'm at the beach when I look at your painting!

I know what you mean about the paper... I make that mistake a lot.

Love your red convertible post!

5:40 AM  
Blogger About said...

Great sky action goin' on!! A wonderful moody piece.
I remember the first time I used REAL watercolor paper...WOW what a difference!
I like this piece. Happy painting!!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Brenda Yarborough said...

You've captured a wonderful north coast sky! Great job on those waves and rocks, too!! Oh my yes! Watercolor paper can make a HUGE difference. I remember the first time I used watercolor paper blocks -- they are still a fantastic experience!!

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful work Tami! Someday I'd like to spend some time at the beach studying waves...it's an area I definitely could use practice with. Congratulations on using good paper...you're so right about what a difference it makes!

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home