February 26, 2008

Trinidad Bay


I took a drive down to Eureka today with the sole intent of taking pictures and sketching in Trinidad. Once I got there, I started to get intimidated by the scene a bit but went ahead and pulled out the ole paper and paints anyway. Once I was done I felt fairly good about the sketch, it looked fairly accurate and I didn't duck out on drawing that pier (LOL). The one blue boat looks a bit like a sub but all in all not too bad, after all, it's a SKETCH... I had my lines fairly straight, but when I took the photo, the pad was on a bit of an angle so it appears to have one of my signature lilts to it. While I was painting this, a dense fog bank was hanging just off shore but I wanted to keep the closeness of the feeling of the bay so didn't include the skyline.
Trinidad was, and still is, a fishing village. It contains beautiful old houses gathered like anxious wives along the crest of the bay. In the past few decades, it has moved to include a bit of an artsy fartsy flavor but not to the point of being snobbish. The village has kept it's smallness with one main street covering about two to three blocks of local businesses and a small gathering of homes.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lin said...

GORGEOUS, Tami!!! OH you have me dreaming of warm sunny places, and long leisuring days!

4:33 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

It looks like a beautiful place. Glad you went there and shared that beauty with us in the desert :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Brenda Yarborough said...

What a great job! I especially like the water! I think we ALL must be dreaming of water lately. I haven't visited your blog in a while and was delighted to see all your new work!!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

I love your description ' gathering like anxious wives', reminds me of the anxious talk in the fish and chip shop of my childhood - who was out and what was the forecast. Lovely composition and I think the various blobs of land are very convicing

7:29 PM  
Blogger caseytoussaint said...

The water is really wonerful here. How lucky for you to be able to easily go to such a beautiful place!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

I love the coloring you did on the rock formation that is just left of center. It looks wet and damp at the base but sunkissed on the top.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Tami! This is WONDERFUL! I love it. The rocks and water are just right!

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The water and rocks are just wonderful...I can feel the movement of the waves and the fresh air just from looking at the painting. You have such an exuberant style--really fun to see.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home