February 23, 2008

Sketches from the Harbor


I was up in Crescent City today and did some quick sketches while looking at the harbor. Although I have stopped there lots of times, I've been too intimidated to do any sketches. My boats could surely use some help (LOL), but it's all in the name of learning. The black and white birds were really pretty small, I was painting them so that I could look them up later and figure out what they are. They aren't a type of duck, I don't think, as their beaks are very small. They reminded me of wind up toys because they move forward really fast and the the same time bob their heads up and down very quickly. Funny little things.
I found out that the local Art Gallery has a group of painters, both oil and watercolor, that get together on Saturday mornings and paint with coaching if you feel like you need it. They also have demos once a month from some of the local artists; these are video taped and if you are a member you can check them out at no cost. Also available is a library of workshop tapes from outside artists that you can watch there at the Gallery. I was pretty excited to find out about it as I can't seem to find any classes in the area to save my soul.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lin said...

What a fun trip, Tami!! So glad you captured it in this wonderful sketch!! I also love your description -- wind up toys -- you're right on here .. they DO indeed look like that!!!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

Sounds like your visit there was really worth while finding out about the painters and classes.

I can see you had fun here just by looking at the sketches.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home