October 29, 2006

Boats going out

Took the dogs for a hike along that marshy area in the painting I did a couple of days ago. At the end of the trail, the main channel goes out to the bay, eventually; for what ever reason, there were quite a few larger boats headed out that way. All I could see from a distance were the masts sticking up out of the grass like dorsel fens.

I know not to center my subject in the middle of the page, but when I'm painting in my sketchbook, I some how, forget all the rules. I can't believe I'm sitting up at almost midnight posting this. I got stuck on the perspective and had to re-do it twice.

6 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

This is a lovely quirky one - one's first thought is certainly not "oh, she shouldn't have centred it" - rules are meant to be broken, especially by artists!

1:37 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

OH HON -- This is so pretty!! SUPER SUPRE COLORS and the rich greens against the yellow -- lovely!!! You've veered off the center at the top of path so I think you're just fine .. it's a beautiful painting!

4:06 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

Tami, another beautiful one. All the broken rules work great!

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good suggesting of the grass - just that light touch really gives the illusion of the feathery soft field.

Your instinct is right on the composition which proves that you're really learning to self-critique - so very important.

With regard to the rules - I had so many good guidelines reinforced over this past weekend that I'm going to make a 3x 5 card and put it inside my sketchbook to remind me of things like dominance, unity, center of interest, value. In the moment of inspiration it's hard to remember composition.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know my Motto "Rules are meant to be broken" (when you can get away with it) which you did. I love it. Somehow this one has a special meaning to me. Besides maybe the mast was centered on the path when you saw it. Who really cares, it works

1:25 PM  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

I often do the same thing in my sketchbook--just start drawing and see what turns up--when I forget to try to compose first. But that's what's nice about sketchbooks--no worries. The colors are lovely and the curving path is fun to follow.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home