May 23, 2006



This is a composite of a couple of the vineyards from a month or so ago. In the spring, the vineyard and orchard floors are carpeted with wild mustard in our area. Some of the vintners pull it out and some leave it be. I particularly like the vineyard that leave it be. The hill with the grapes growing over it is in another area but I love the way it looks so I "moved it". The road in got a little overworked (funny I was just saying this morning that I have a tendency to do that).Here's a question for those of you that work often in watercolor, this includes you, Teri and Lin; Do you usually work wet into wet or wet into dry? I can see where the effect would be more spontaneous in wet into wet but I am not sure how to begin to control it. Is it just practice?

I had originally cut down the size of this painting to cut out the "Dude" but then I decided to leave him in, after all, I can't "cut" him out of my sketch book and that is really what this blog is all about, learning. He is out of proportion, I was trying to work too small. So here he is in all of he's ill proportions.

2 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Tami, this is so soft and pretty. I really like it--it takes me there.

As to your question about wet-in-wet and wet-in-dry; I let the item or scene decide for me. Sometimes it just demands to be wet-in-wet and other times not. Sometimes I try it both ways (I always recycle my paper to both sides:)-it uses a lot of paper but how else to learn. And I am still so much in the learning stage.

And sometimes it requires colored pencils! Or is it just my mood. I admit to loving the six-year-old (as I call it) freedom of wet-in-wet.

I bet this is more than you asked for :)

8:30 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

nice composition, Tami - Life's been getting in the way of my memory paintings, and sometimes I have to let my preliminary drawings stew a while, but yesterday I finished 4 drawings, not funny ones though - they'll be up soon.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home