November 22, 2006

California Buckeye (Aesculus californica) Stump

California Buckeye's grow wild all over our hills in this area. The trees have a mystical quality to them especially in the early spring when they are flushing out chartreuse new leaves in full umbrellas that touch the ground. This time of year all or the leaves have fallen and the knobby gnarly trunks are exposed.

On a hike, with the ever present dogs, yesterday, I pick up a piece of stump to draw. I had no idea how hard it is to make bumps "stand up" off of a flat sheet of paper. Half way through the drawing/painting, I thought this stumps true calling in life was to the fireplace! This morning I came back to it for a few minutes and finished it the best I could, for now. I think I will try the whole thing again in just plain pencil, to see how that turns out, (if it doesn't become fire wood) I'll post the results in a day or two.

10 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Tami, I don't know what a buckeye is but you sure made it look interesting. Lot of texture and depth.

Happy Thanksgiving!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

Hey, Tami
I see the bumps, too. This was really cool. Good job! Happy Thanksgiving.
Karen

4:38 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Happy Thanksgiving Tami! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Tami I think you did a great job. I love the texture and the way the whole piece flows. It looks like a whole world. Happy Thanksgiving.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Sue Seibert said...

Tami, I love it! You did a great job.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Lovely - it looks like a strange little island with some eyes half-buried peeking out

3:53 AM  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

This is fabulous! I love the texture and the whole little universe you've discovered within one piece of bark(?). It's really wonderful and looks frameable to me. It's a delightful exploration that worked really well.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Marilyn said...

Very interesting!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely drawing!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Cynthia Padilla said...

This is lovely Tami.
cynthia

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home