August 26, 2006



I am still working in my sketch book. I received my paints (well, most of them anyway). Now I need to purchase some sketch paper that will handle the water better.

I realized tonight that I am putting off painting at night, I used to love it. This left me pondering what was up, the problem became clear when I was trying to paint and the shadow of my hand was across the page. At that point, of course, the light was no where near my onion because I was trying to get it over my paper! Before I moved my chair the primary light was over my left shoulder ( I am right handed) and the secondary light was on the subject, now I am using one overhead light and, well, my shadow on the page...Think I need to move the lights again!

7 Comments:

Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

Nice color in the onion, Tami. Better light should improve your situation, I'm guessing. (REALLY glad you got those paints!)

3:14 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

Terrific!! Love the varied colors of this onion!! As for the light -- since I too work mostly in the evenings I too have overhead lighting ... doesn't make great shadows ... but I can't always create a light box .. would adding a flashlight help any? I'm wondering too ...

4:46 AM  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

I love this Tami. Your composition is so much funny and the colors are great. You're right about lighting! At my desk I have two color corrected lamps, one on each side. Each lamp has a round florescent tube and a regular lightbulb in the center. They give great light and are on swing arms so they can be moved where I need them.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

What a wonderfully colored onion Tami! Seems we all spend our evenings with art! I have a light behind me with 5 lights if I need them altho they also do 2 or 3. Just like our mothers said, 'you need better light or your eyes will be bad"! :)

11:06 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Thats the prettiest little red onion I have ever seen! I love the soft colors.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Beautiful, Tami - and I have three lights for drawing/painting at night, to deal with the shadow issues.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Anastasia said...

your onion looks fantastic! Lighting is important but I dont mind drawing at night - I like the shadows that the lightbulb creates.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home