May 26, 2006


More practice work, I am sure by the time I get done "practicing" you all will be sick of seeing this stuff, but since I have made the commitment to draw everyday, and I work, AND I want to learn this, this is what you get to see. I am trying not to copy anything, just use his illustrations and think about how the shadows will fall as I fill in the detail. I need to know how to read the shadows and light for my self if I want to use this style for my own work. I have discovered that I have a tendency, if I don't watch out for it, for things to list slightly to the side. I will have to keep an eye on that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

These a great little trees. And don't worry about copying, that is a good way to learn especially with a book. It is the people that copy and then sell it as their own. So copy away!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Jennafer said...

I think you are doing a great job! It looks like you are really seeing what was done in the drawings. Keep up the practice!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

Really nice practice work, Tami.

8:08 PM  
Blogger starrgirl's world said...

these practice sketches are great - and kudos to you for saying that you are practicing by copying. It is certainly ok to do that - students always copy to learn - but not ok to say otherwise!! And it really looks like you are learning a lot! Could the "leaning to one side" be how you are holding your sketchbook, or the position you are sitting in? Would it help to pay attention to the straight edge of the page as a guide as you draw? I think I do that and have even been known to draw a light pencil line with a ruler or folded piece of paper when I see that I am leaning too much. I also turn my drawings upside down to correct them - angles that are off pop right out at you! Keep up the good work!!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

Thanks all of you for the great encouragement! I AM strating to SEE own. Starrgirl, thanks for the tips on the leaning problem, I suspect, now that you mention it, that it may be ither the way I am sitting or holding my sketch book. I have read that turning th page upside down help to show the problem areas.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home