April 22, 2006


Yesterday was a tough day, at work were are going through a buy out. I have worked for the same company for 15 years, it was a small indepently owned operation. There were some bad things with that, like trying to get promoted, if you weren't liked, you just got passed up, vacation time was very limited and we had no sick time. The advantages to it were, being a garden manager (the company was a hardware store) I had autonomy, I could buy what I wanted to buy, make my nursery look the way I wanted my nursery to look, it was my baby. I worked hard to get into the position that I had. In November we were bought out by The Big Orange Box. There are again, some advantages to this, my vacation time went from 2 weeks a year maximum to 4 weeks per year with 6 days sick/personal time, but I will lose my autonomy, everything is consistent in all the stores, as a matter of fact, from what I am hearing, the Corp. Office in Atlanta does most of the plant buying and the vendors put up most of the product. The manager of the dept. is a number runner, what is selling what needs to be stocked (inside), blah, blah, blah. I am in a funk over this, I put a lot of years in getting my certification to know plants, and sell plants, not to run numbers. Next week starts the liquidation process, so off I go.

Any way, I had a really hard time focusing yesterday, drawing helped as did my walk out in the pasture on this working farm, that is also open to the public. It is a very nice place to spend a few hours. I will be posting the photo of this barn on my photo blog (link at top) if you want to take a look at that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carole said...

Hi Tami,
Thank you for your comments on my blog :)

I think it's great that you are drawing every day. I've enjoyed looking through your drawings. I know what you mean about the light having to be quite strong to see the shadows and highlights properly!
Carole

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing to draw through the day. Especially when it is a tough day. You encourage others when you say you were able to draw when having a hard time focusing. Maybe that doesn't make sense? But it does! I will check out your photo blog, I want to see the pasture you get to walk in.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Thanks for stopping by Carole. I am learning a little at a time.

Judith,
as always, thanks for your ongoing support, now if we can just get you to pick up that pencil...:>)

9:10 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

Tami -- OH HOW I KNOW YOUR PAIN! I am so sorry! My job has a ton of autonomy, which I love, but equally as many frustrations ... it's a hard choice to make, isn't it ... especially when you've worked so long and hard for something you love. I hope your situation improves Tami -- perhaps the 'big box' will be a bit looser once they know your talents? BTW, your sketch is beautifully done. Good luck, Tami!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

Thank you Lin.

I am sure a lot of it is just fear of the unknown, once I know the territory a little better, I am sure things will work out. With my experience, I could go to work for another independant nursery, which I may, the only draw back to that would be again, giving up some of the benefits that I have gained with this buy out. We will see.

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home