April 17, 2006



This is the most difficult thing I have attempted to draw. It has more detail and lines that really need to match up. I feel good about it, it isn't perfect but I did pretty well. Drawing every day is helping me immensely! Elizabeth @ woolgathering made a comment a while back to the effect that when she draws everyday there is less fear of making a mistake because it is just one more drawing and there is always tomorrows drawing. I am finding that this is very true, I feel more freedom to experiment knowing that it doesn't have to be really good, to meet the requirement that I have set for myself, it just needs to be.

I am starting to do rough sketches out in the field. Trying to capture the gesture of some of the birds and wildlife I find around me. It is hard, they don't hold still! But I will keep showing up, pen/pencil in hand.

One of the things that I am finding out is that if I don't fully connect (lack of a better word) with my subject, if I am in too tight of a time frame or just can't settle my mind, my drawings are not very good, I have to slow and focus. Sometimes that is hard, but when I can do it I come away feeling like I have truly shown up and been involved with life. The same limitations, frustrations and successes are true with photography, if I am not fully in the moment, I have problems with my photographs and when I can fully focus, I get lost in the pleasure of what I am donig.

4 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

Really nice drawing you have. It appears that it's drawn at about life size? Sometimes that makes it easier to be judgemental, allow yourself the same forgiveness you would on something much larger. It's got lots of positive things going on.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

Thank you Melissa. Glad you stopped by and left a comment!
You have some lovely drawings on your blog.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am fascinated following along with the process. I can relate to when you "just can't settle my mind"...this pours over in to many creative projects, even cooking. I do like the cork!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Thanks Judith! Yes, you are right, all of the creative avenues require us to be fully focused to
do our best work.

Thank you for stopping by and your support, Some days are good and some days aren't so good.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home