April 14, 2008

practice people sketches 1

One of the things I want to learn to do is quick sketches of people. Today I spent a few minutes practicing sketching from some of the photos in the Image Reference Library at Wet Canvas. Was trying to work quickly, pull predominant lines and capture some of the shadows. I had a difficult time working with a pen. The gentleman in the lower left corner had dark skin but was closer in age to the other gentleman sitting with him than my sketch shows. Some of them came out better than others. Pushing out of the comfort zone, it's what's it's all about...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog while doing a search. I enjoyed my time here, and loved your sketches and paintings.

I also love to paint. I am too much of a perfectionist to really enjoy it as much as I could. I wish I could just learn how to relax and let go.

All the best to you,
Athena
http://www.homespunhealers.wordpress.com

6:53 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Tami, you did just great!! Looks like you really have a feel for people and I rarely see any onyour blog. Are you holding out on us?

8:03 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

Ithink these are terrific, Tami!! And I applaud your stretching!!! I need to follow your lead!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Mark Kwasny said...

Ah, another people person! I'm going to make a better effort to observe people (without giving them the creeps, I hope!). I've started working more with people and faces and such. Nice lifelong hobby to pursue.

Mark

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm catching up on my blog reading: you've done so many wonderful sketches! And bravo for pushing beyond your comfort zone here.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Sue Seibert said...

I tried people in a Starbucks on Sunday, but so far, not so good. Necks and noses really get me!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Brenda Yarborough said...

Ooh, Tami, GREAT job!! You've really got some good movement and some excellent line work going on -- keep it up!!

10:12 PM  
Blogger caseytoussaint said...

Nice work, Tami! People are by far the hardest, but most rewarding thing to sketch, in my opinion. I know you're going to have fun doing this.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home